Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Mother

When I was growing up, I never really understood why my mother did what she did.

She used to feed up the cold meat from the Sunday roast on a Monday.
She used to wash our plastic sandwich bags so they could be used again the next day.
She used to re-use silver foil.
She used to get annoyed when we left lights on.
She used to say 'you can have coffee or squash, but not both'
She used to put the left-overs in little dishes in the fridge.
She used to make us walk rather than get a lift in the car.
She told us to put on another jumper, not the radiator.
She told us to look after the pennies and the pounds would look after themselves.
She used to moan about the way we put our foot on the accelerator.
She used to darn our socks and sew up our jumpers and tell us 'they will do for another year'.

I never really understood why my mother did what she did.

I do now.

2 comments:

Styx of Rock said...

You and me both pal, mine as the same. The wisdom of experience.

Hallmum said...

And I am constantly doing the same to my girls- I am going to show this to them Neil! jen x